Arlington National Cemetery
Commemorative Monuments Approval Process
- Submit the USS Thresher ANC Commemorative Monument approval package to the ANC Commemorative Monuments Working Group. (Completed)
- An approval package completeness review will be conducted by the ANC Commemorative Monuments Working Group.
- The ANC Commemorative Monuments Working Group will evaluate our memorial proposal.
- The ANC Commemorative Monuments Working Group will provide their approval recommendation of our package to the ANC Advisory Committee and to Ms. Katharine Kelley, Superintendent, Arlington National Cemetery.
- The ANC Advisory Committee & Ms. Kelley will provide independent recommendations to Ms. Karen Durham-Aguilera, Executive Director, Army National Cemeteries. Note that we are allowed to make a presention to the ANC Advisory Committee.
- A final recommendation for the commemoriative monument will be made by Ms. Durham-Aguilera to the Secretary of the Army Ms. Condon will forward her approval recommendation decision to the Honorable Dr. Mark T. Esper, Secretary of the Army.
- The final approval decision is made by Dr. Mark. T. Esper, Secretary of the Army.
Please note that this process can take over a year starting from the time the initial approval package is received by ANC.
The following is a link to a slide from ANC that depicts their commemorative monuments approval process: Arlington National Cemetery Commemorative Monuments Approval Process.
The following is a link to a PDF presentation on our status and a project overview dated 12/12/2018:
USS Thresher ANC Memorial Project Status & Overview 12/12/2018